Monday, February 3, 2014

Spidey 2002 vs. 2012

Last night I rewatched The Amazing Spider-Man. I admit that I originally watched it with a closed mind. I enjoyed it well enough. The action was great, and Garfield's Peter Parker was actually pretty great. Gwen Stacy and Captain Stacy were also solid matches. Rhys Ifans was okay as Dr. Conners, but for a villain he was fairly forgettable. I don't blame him for that. The Lizard was never a very compelling character for me in the comics as well. Pete's mechanical web shooters is straight from the comic. And his costume feels more real.


This morning I watched the original Sam Raimi Spider-Man. I will admit that Garfield plays a better Peter Parker than Maguire. The Spidey of the comics is funny and charming, but only to the readers (and the audience). To everyone around him, he is a great big loser. Maguire plays it all as a loser. Garfield plays it charming, with the director making him a loser to everyone else. This works well for The Amazing Spider-Man, but it's probably the only point that is genuinely stronger. Raimi's film is just more engaging. The origin flows better. The colors and editing are more fun and comic- booky. It has more comedy and a better villain. Elfman's musical theme is much more heroic and catchy (if you need a super-hero theme, call Danny Elfman). J.J.J is such an integral part of the mythos. The fact that he was left out of the new one is the biggest misstep in my opinion. JJ is Spidey's constant foil that he can't actually take out or put in jail. And he is Peter Parker's ONLY source of income. I missed JJ quite a lot. So as far as the origins go, Raimi made a better Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong. I'm still plenty excited about the new one coming up. It looks much more cinematic and comic-booky. And I'm really looking forward to seeing Garfield as Parker again.

No comments:

Post a Comment