Thursday, December 19, 2013

My first ultrasound!

I had my first ultrasound today. It was weird. I’ve seen quite a few, but to be the one lying down with my shirt up was bizarre. You know, cuz I'm a guy.  I kept wanting to ask the tech if she could tell what the sex was. The process took over an hour. She had to get pictures of every single abdominal organ, and I guess I’ve got bunches. She wasn’t gentle, especially on my ribs. I learned things about myself. Did you know that I’m still ticklish? I thought I outgrew that. But it’s been awhile since I’ve had to lie on my back, unmoving while someone vigorously digs into my ribs. I kept my cool. I didn’t laugh. But it took all my concentration not to start giggling like I’m 8 and Kimberly is pinning me down. Me: “Stop it! It hurts! I can’t breathe!” Kimberly: “It can’t be that bad, if you are laughing so hard!” I thought those days were behind me. So there I was, focusing with all my might to not burst out laughing. I focus best with my eyes closed. At one point I realized I was closing my eyes with a huge smile on my face. So now I look like some big perv who is enjoying his ultrasound way too much. I open my eyes to see her giving me an odd look. I could explain, but the whole process is awkward enough without my opening my mouth to say something stupid. So I just try to forcibly stifle my smile which of course quickly comes across like a contorted scowl. She asks if I’m okay. I mutter, “yep”. Come on, lady. I just want this over with so I can get out of here with my dignity. Hurry up and finish and give me a towel so I can clean this goo off my stomach. Overall, I rate the experience better than the dentist, but worse than a tattoo. I suppose it would be more positive if they were looking for a baby and not abnormalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment